Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a Scottish boarding school pupil Whose parents live in the North of England.

I am a pupil at a boarding school in Edinburgh but my parents live in England.

When I apply to a Scottish University will my place of residency be considered as Scotland or England?
I think you may be considered English in terms of residency. Read the following page carefully:


Clause 1b suggests that you will not be considered Scottish if you moved from elsewhere in the UK purely for full-time education purposes.

But please pursue further guidance on this issue. Especially if you've always been to school in Edinburgh and it hasn't just been in the last few years.

Have you spoken to the sixth form/careers adviser at your school, if there is one?

Also talk to universities admissions departments. There is no harm in seeking their advice.

Similar questions