Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Home or overseas fees?

Hello I am a sixteen-year old student who was born in Britain and have British citizenship as well as a British passport. I lived in England for 10 years before moving to New Zealand. I was considering moving back to England to study however and I need to know if I classify as a home or international student. My grandfather has been resident in the UK for over 3 years now (as stated by UKCISA to be a possible option) but he may pass away between now and September 2016 (when I intend to start my course) so I was wondering whether this would have any impact on whether I am classified as a home or international student. I will be grateful for any advice, thanks.
Answered by Alison Patterson
The rules and Guidance relating to fees status make residency a more compelling criterion than citizenship for Home fees.

The rule is that normally you should have been resident in the UK for three years before starting university.

Universities decide on the fees status for each applicant. They will not make a determination until an application has been received through UCAS an an offer made. It is possible to make a case for home fees and to do so you might have to start the process by posing the question. (Universities are likely to presume international fees status if they receive an application from an overseas address). Each university will have a procedure for making a determination and it is likely that you will need to furnish them will information, complete a questionnaire, send copies of birth certificates. Clearly, it is in the applicant's interests to be as co-operative and clear as possible in providing a full set of supporting information.

You may be interested in reading further at the UKCISA site.

I hope this helps.
Good luck

Similar questions