Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Entry requirements for international students

I am UK citizen and I began schooling here but moved to Australia at 10. I completed my education there (including going to university and getting a Bachelors degree) and returned after.
I want to apply to university here as an undergraduate but I am confused as to whether I will meet entry criteria.
Will I be considered as an international student? Is there some way I could be assessed as a separate case?
Answered by Alison Patterson
The rules about Home fees status give priority to residence rather than citizenship and the general rule is that you should have lived in the country for three years before commencing your course at university.

Check the UKCISA site at

The entry requirements for a course are academic, not based on domicile. (It is important not to confuse eligibility to study for a course with eligibility to be determined as Home status for fees purposes.) It is very important that you meet the entry requirements for the course you wish to apply for. You will have to apply through UCAS (www.ucas.com).

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Similar questions