Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for Overseas Students

We are UK Passport holders and lived in the UK until relocating to Singapore in 2009.
Will our daughter be eligible to apply for the various bursaries and funding available for UK students as found on your website.
Or would our application be assessed in the bracket of an 'International Student' with the respective increase in fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Fees status is determined by residency rather than citizenship. The rule tends to be that to qualify for Home fees you must be resident in the country in the three years leading up to starting university.

For more information check the UKCISA site at:


Universities determine the fees status of an applicant after receipt of a UCAS application and the offer of a place has been made based on academic merit. It is possible to be asked to be considered for Home fees at this point but the onus will be on the applicant as any application coming from an overseas address is likely to be automatically deemed international for fees purposes by the university.

It is a good idea to plan early.
Good luck.

Similar questions