Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Being charged the higher fee rate after taking a break in study

I began full time University in 2011 and continued through 2012. I did not attend in 2013 and was deferred to 2014. When I continued in 2014 I was charged the higher fee rate even though I am still in the same programme as when I began in 2011. Shouldn't I be paying the same rate of rate fee from 2011?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Our understanding of the rules is that if you withdrew completely and started again you will be liable for the new fee regime. If you just suspended and stayed on the university books, as a dormant student, you should remain on the old fee regime.

However, this is really a matter for Student Finance England and the university. You must talk to them. Go to your Students' Union rep for support, if appropriate.

If you feel the matter is not being addressed adequately you may consider lodging a formal complaint with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator:


Similar questions