Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Studying in Wales, Fees

My 18 year old son has finished high school in Australia. He has a British passport and wants to moves to Cardiff for university. Will he be eligible for the home fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Dear Gareth
Thanks for your question.

Your son will have to apply online through UCAS (www.ucas.com) if he wishes to study at a UK university.

The rules governing fees status are based on residency rather than nationality. To be eligible for Home fees (rather than international fees) he should have been living in the country for three years prior to commencing his course.

Universities make the final determination having received an application and made an offer of a place to an applicant. You can make a case for home fees if you think you have one, but the onus may be on you to challenge the university's automatic presumption that an Australian address means your son is an international applicant.

You need to check the UKCISA site for more detail. Go to:

I hope this helps.

Similar questions