Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Can international students take a gap year and defer entry on UCAS form?

I am a student from America looking to apply to university in the UK, however, I want to take a gap year before I go. Can international student take a gap year and defer entry on UCAS form?
Answered by Alison Patterson
All universities should accept deferred entry from international students the same as they do from home students. You apply through UCAS in the normal way but state that you intend to defer your entry by one year. The selectors will make a decision on your academic suitability in the knowledge that you will be entering university after your gap year.

We have an article on deferring, inform your decision, take a look:


Our gap years section can be found here:


Similar questions