Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Student loan for English resident applying to Australian university

Is it possible for an English resident to get some kind of student loan to attend university in Australia?
Hi there,

You wouldn't automatically qualify for a loan from the UK government or Australian one for the matter.

You may wish to apply for a scholarship for your studies in Australia - there's a number of different options; government bodies, universities themselves, or alternative organisations such as Rotary International. These will however be very competitive and when applying you'll have to make a convincing case as to why you deserve the funding.

Alternatively you could look at getting bank loans but this isn't something we would readily advise - these of course come with very high interest rates.

Our full page on Studying in Australia should help:


Similar questions