Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a Swiss National applying to a Scottish University - home or overseas?

My stepson is a Swiss national who has applied to the University of Edinburgh. Would he be eligible for home fees for his undergraduate programme?
UKCISA is the go to place for all things fees status:


As far as I can tell your stepson would qualify for home fees status, provided he fulfils the following criteria:

He is the child of a Swiss national, has been ordinarily resident of Switzerland for 3 years prior to attending uni, and this residency was not wholly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

Alternatively he may qualify because:

He is the family member (www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--fin...e) of a Swiss national working in the UK, and has been ordinarily resident of Switzerland for 3 years prior to attending uni.

Does either of the above apply? Apologies if not, I recommend you consult this
page on fee status in Scotland:


Also worth writing to Edinburgh to ascertain whether he is likely to qualify for home fees.

Similar questions