Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Scottish serving soldier with kids living in England - will they get free tuition fees?

I am a serving soldier from Scotland, but have been based in England for the last 12 years. My children at some point will be interested in going to university, hopefully back home in Scotland. My question is due to me serving in the army in England, and my kids having their education in England, would they still have to pay tuition fees up in Scotland?
Answered by Alison Patterson
I believe your children will be counted as Scottish for the purposes of tuition fees, providing you signed up for the armed forces in Scotland. In these circumstances your family should be counted as resident in Scotland.

Generally, a student should have lived in Scotland for the three year prior to starting university in order to be eligible for Scottish fees. However there are exceptions - including family members of serving members of the Armed Forces.

The following document issued by SAAS explains:

Similar questions