Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Grants or loans for UK students wishing to study at Irish universities

I'm a student living in the UK but wishing to attend an Irish university. How may I obtain grants or loans ?
Answered by Alison Patterson
You will not receive UK Government support to attend a university outside the UK.

You may be eligible for assistance with course fees only under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committees Scholarship Scheme of the Irish Government. Go to www.studentfinance.ie/
It may be wise to contact universities before applying.


Apart from support from the Irish Government, which may or may not be available to you, you should consider commercial bank loans. You should also consider part-time employment, although some universities advise against this.

Good luck.

Similar questions