Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Student Loans for UK Passport Holder Living overseas

My son is a UK passport holder but he lives in Hong Kong (born before 1997). He was given Home Status by his university in the UK. Can he apply for a student loan?
Answered by Alison Patterson
You should contact Student Finance England (or the relevant bodies for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, as appropriate).

Residence requirements usually govern home fees status, so I am not sure on what grounds your son has been awarded home fees status (though there are many exceptions to the rules). It is still possible that he is not eligible for UK Government support in the form of loans and grants.

The rules are stated in summary at:

You can apply and await a determination or contact them first. Phone details are at:

Similar questions