Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a Welsh-born foreign student

My son is Welsh born but now lives in Canada. What are the requirements for being considered "Welsh" for the purposes of understanding what fees he would be required to pay?
Answered by Alison Patterson
The main requirement for eligibility to pay the Home fees rate is to live in Wales for the three years prior to starting a university course.
For more information go to the UKCISA website at:

If your son has lived in Canada for several years he is likely to be considered an international student for fees purposes.

Universities determine fees status once an application has been received through UCAS and a formal offer of a place made.

Similar questions