Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Transferring university

I am currently studying in my first year of a degree and I was wondering if there is a way to change universities and if so, who to contact about the change?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Transferring is a possibility but is not something to be taken lightly.  We suggest you contact your tutors atyour current university first to discuss your misgivings.
If you wish to transfer it is entirely at the discretion of the receiving university. You would have to make informal, direct contact with the Department you're interested in transferring to. They would be able to advise you if there is a chance - based on your academic performance and the availability of a place. 
If you wish to transfer direct to second year you will almost certainly have to pass your end of year exams in your current university. Otherwise, you may have to begin again as a first year and, as you will be aware, universities have now made all their offers to UCAS students for 2013 entry. You may or may not need to go through UCAS/Clearing.  So, the first thing to do is check on the possibility of a transfer by contacting the university you wish to move to asap.

Similar questions