Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

How to apply to university as a mature student?

How would I apply to university after finishing at sixth form and leaving education for a year? I would like to take a degree but not for another year or so, so how is the process different to applying whilst in sixth form and moving straight onto university from there?
Also, how do I register a UCAS account to be able to apply for the degree once established?
Answered by Alison Patterson
This can all be done independently. You will need an academic reference, so you may need to ask your teachers for help with this.

The UCAS website is very clear and helpful. It will steer you through the application process. Take the time to read and understand how it works. When the time comes you should take care with your application - the Personal Statement, listing your qualifications, choosing the right courses, knowing the deadline dates etc.

Go to

You should consult your Sixth Form College. If you would like their help in the future, I imagine they will be willing to support you by checking your application etc.

Similar questions