Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

University Fees


My daughter has lived in the UK all her life, until she left for Thailand, age 14, due to her father's work situation. She is now doing iGCSE and iA Levels at an international school in Bangkok. She wants to return to the UK for university but we have been told she is not eligible for a student loan because she has not been in the UK for the last 4 years. Is this the case? If so it seems a bit unfair that our daughter is not able to apply for a student loan and is classed as an International Student, despite having an English Passport since birth and being born in the UK.
Answered by Alison Patterson

The general rule about home fees status and eligibility to UK Government funding is that you must have been resident in the UK for the three years prior to starting university.

However, there are exceptions to the rule. If the applicant is living outside the UK for unavoidable reasons and for a necessary temporary absence (father's employment, for example) it is possible that the applicant can be classified as a home student.

Universities have the discretion to make the final determination about fees status when an application has been made (through UCAS www.ucas.com) and the offer of a place has been made on academic grounds.

If you have an address overseas you can expect a university to assume automatically that it is an international student application. he onus is on you to make the case for Home fees. You must provide full information and the university usually will ask you to complete a form and submit documentary evidence. In your case you must refer to the rules. Please read the UKCISA website at:


(Read the paragraph on "Ordinary Residence" in the link above.)





Good luck,

Similar questions