Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Applying through UCAS for a course when my son has suspended his place and is not at college or uni

My son has just come home from his first year at uni and has suspended his place at university to restart next September (2016). If he decides he wants to change to a different university will he need to withdraw from the course he's suspended and will he have to apply through UCASfor any other places or direct to the university?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Rachel,

Yes, unless he could complete the first year exams and possibly transfer to second year entry elsewhere it's likely that he will need to go through UCAS again.

As he has suspended his studies,he will probably need to apply through UCAS. He needs to think carefully about his reasons for withdrawal from the current university and what it is he wants - new university, new course?

I suggest he does some research about where he wants to study and, if he wants to continue with the same course, he should contact universities direct and ask for their advice.

I hope this helps!


Similar questions