Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Eligibility for student finance - International Student

I am a British citizen, I've just moved to the UK. I am thinking of joining university but the fees are very high. Can I get the maintenance and tuition fee loan even though I'm only a British citizen, and not a resident?
Answered by Alison Patterson
You will not be eligible for government funding - loans and grants - for your studies. You will need to check on the support available from universities and commercial bank loans. There may be some scholarships available.

The UKCISA website may help.

If you are a British citizen you should be eligible for Home fees and government loans and grants after you have been resident in the country for three years.

Have you contacted Student Finance England, using these contact details:
You should contact them for advice.

Similar questions