Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

necessary entry qualifications for Spanish resident to apply to UK university

I would like to know what qualifications would be most useful to a Spanish resident (although UK national) applying to British universities i.e. is the international baccalaureate better than the regular baccalaureate offered at most schools in Spain?

Thanks a lot for your help
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Rachel,

UK universities recognise most international qualifications and their websites give general entry requirements. For example:


It is not possible to say whether they prefer IB to the local high school qualification, because they will consider either.

Please remember that the entry requirements for a particular course may be different to the general entry requirements. For example, for a Medicine degree there will likely be a Chemistry requirement, and for Maths a higher Maths requirement. If you know what course you want to study it would be sensible to email admissions teams about specific course entry requirements if the information is not clearly available on websites.

I hope this helps!


Similar questions