Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Change of mind after a gap year

My daughter got her A level results in summer 2015 and was accepted onto her first choice uni. However, after her gap year she no longer wants to go to her first choice and would prefer to go to her second choice uni.

Does she need to ask her first choice to release her and then reapply through UCAS and start the whole process again? Or can she contact her second choice and see if they may be prepared to make her an offer?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Strictly speaking the second choice does not exist as your daughter was accepted by her first choice university.

Her only option is to withdraw from UCAS and reapply. However, she would be well advised to secure an informal acceptance from the institution she wishes to go to before doing that.

Similar questions