Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Would my son be considered a British fee paying student?

I would like to know if you could help:- We have been living in Dubai for the past 12 years (British Nationality/Citizens) and our son came out to the UAE when he was 2 years old and has lived and been educated here since the age of 2. He will be 15 this May and we are in the process of looking at sending him to boarding school in the UK for his A Level years before he starts University in the UK.
I have been told conflicting messages about the fee structure for University in the UK:- I was told that a child needs to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 years to be accepted as a British fee paying student and that the 3 years DO NOT HAVE to be consecutive. Example our son was in the UK from when he was born until 2 years old and will then be in the UK for a further 2 years from 16 to 18 therefore would he be considered as a British fee paying student? However someone else told me that the 3 years minimum HAVE to be consecutive years and can not be broken up?!?
Answered by Alison Patterson
The rule is that to qualify for Home fees your son should have resided in the UK for the three years prior to starting university i.e. they need to be consecutive.

For details go to the UKCISA website at
Note that the rules are slightly different depending on whether you are looking at England, Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland.

The Government website defines eligibility for funding at
(section on nationality or residence status.

Similar questions