Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Means Tested Student Finance

When applying for a university grant/loan I understand that my parents income is taken into account, however if they earn £50,000 but are in high debt with little money, what are my options? As i do not qualify for any significant funding, but my parents can't afford to fund my life at university
Answered by Alison Patterson
Student loans are available to cover the cost of tuition fees and a minimum loan is available to all students for maintenance (living costs). This is not means tested but you have to apply through Student Finance England (or, if you live in Wales, Scotland or N. Ireland, the relevant funding body for that country).

Go to

If your parents help with the application process by giving details of their income you will be assessed for a full maintenance loan and grant.

Apart from government funding universities offer bursaries and scholarships based on financial need and on academic or other (eg sporting) merit. You should contact the universities you have received offers from to determine whether they can help you.

Similar questions