Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

When to apply for student finance if taking a gap year?

I have applied for a deferred entry for university, so I will not be attending until 2017 as I want to take a gap year.

Do I apply this year for when I start the year or do I just apply in 2017 when I am going to attend?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Always apply for student finance in the year you are to commence a university course.

You should apply in March 2017 for UK Government finance for courses starting in academic year 2017/18.

Assuming you live in England (do you?), you should apply to Student Finance England; otherwise, it's SAAS for Scotland etc.

See our fees section for more info:


Similar questions