We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy


Transferring to a UK university

May 2019

I am currently attending the first year of an undergraduate course in my home town, sadly it has so far failed to meet my expectations. I am planning on applying for a different course at a different university abroad, specifically in the UK, and was wondering how this would affect the way in which I would be expected to apply. Would I be expected to provide a reference from a former teacher or a teacher at my university, even though I have only been attending it for a few months? Am I expected to contact my university of choice before hand, like with students who transfer?


It is unlikely that you will be able to transfer to a UK university course. Most degree courses are lock-step and on the whole you need to start at the beginning. You should apply through UCAS at ucas.com. Look at their section here. Use our Course Chooser to find a course. In your application, you will need to explain your short time at university and if you can get a reference from a university teacher, that will be fine. But a school teacher will also be OK as long as you refer to your time at university in your personal statement and explain why you withdrew from the course. Read the information on university websites for full course descriptions.

Related questions

Distance learning for internationals

Apr 2020

Are there distance learning courses for international students (e.g. learning English as a foreign language) during the pandemic?

Australian student wanting to study in UK

Dec 2019

I am an Australian student hoping to study in the UK next year and have no idea where to turn to. How do the academic scores work for the end of year 12? Is the ATAR applicable?


Jun 2019

We are a British family returning to the UK, and will be spending two years there while our son completes his A Levels. Since the home fee status for universities is based on three years of residency, is there any exception in our case? If not, would the international fee only...

Need help?

Email us and one of our experts will get back soon.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...



Thanks for your feedback!