How to defer university place after receiving offers

Oct 2019

My son has received five offers for university places to study general engineering in September. He now has to accept a firm choice (Uni of Liverpool) and insurance choice (Uni of Leicester) by May. Once he has done this how easy is it to defer the place for one year if he gets the grades? If he changes his mind about studying engineering in that gap year can he withdraw from his deferred commitment to the engineering place at Liverpool and reapply for other courses without incurring any financial or other penalties?


Your son can complete the UCAS process by confirming his CF and CI universities. At results time and assuming he meets the conditions of one of his offers, he can talk to the university about deferring. The university is likely to be sympathetic and release him from the contract. The same is also true if he asks to withdraw before he takes up his place. Universities do not want students that don't want to be there. He could then re-apply if he decides to take up another course but will have to explain his first UCAS application and the reasons for his change of mind when making a second UCAS application. This should not be a problem if he can demonstrate that deferral proved to be the right decision. Taking a year out from education can often prove a worthwhile experience. Read more about taking a gap year.

Related questions

What are my options for deferring because of the coronavirus situation?

May 2020

I am hoping to study at either Loughborough or Leeds from September 2020. However, due to the current situation and the possibility of the universities only offering tuition online, I am considering deferring for a year. Is this possible at this stage of the UCAS process? I...

Deferring offer

May 2020

Can my son defer his insurance offer but not his firm?

Unconditional offers withdrawn, conditional ones issued. Is this legal?

Apr 2020

My daughter was made unconditional offers by two universities and she was waiting to attend open days before making a final decision, which unfortunately did not go ahead due to COVID-19. These two universities have subsequently withdrawn their unconditional offers and issued...

Need help?

Email us and one of our experts will get back soon.


Can't find what you're looking for?

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...



Thanks for your feedback!