Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for commonwealth student studying in scotland

My wife and I are Scottish, our 2 children have British passports, but are also Australian citizens having been born in Australia. We all have dual nationality. Do our children qualify for free undergraduate degrees in Scotland even though we are resident in Australia, a Commonwealth country?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi David,

When applying to university, residence is more relevant than citizenship in determining tuition fees.

Eligibility for Scottish tuition fees depends on at least three years' residence in Scotland immediately prior to starting university.I believe the logic is that funding from the Scottish Government goes to those paying taxes into the country.

For the full list of rules, go to the SAAS website at:

Hope this helps!


Similar questions