We use cookies to ensure the best user experience and to serve tailored advertising. To learn more about our cookies and how to manage them, please visit our cookie policy

I AGREE

What are my options for deferring because of the coronavirus situation?

May 2020

I am hoping to study at either Loughborough or Leeds from September 2020. However, due to the current situation and the possibility of the universities only offering tuition online, I am considering deferring for a year. Is this possible at this stage of the UCAS process? I have received offers from all five choices and need to confirm by June. Or is there a chance to defer after I learn if the universities are indeed only offering online courses?

CORONAVIRUS DEFERRING
Answer

You’d need to contact your chosen university or college to discuss if they’ll let you defer your place. It would probably be sensible to wait to find out what will happen in September. You can make your decisions by 18 June, wait for your results, and still have the option of asking universities if you can defer until September 2021. If universities are unwilling to let you defer, or if they change your offer for 2021 admission, you can withdraw from this year's UCAS cycle and re-apply in the 2021 cycle. There’s some merit in waiting as long as possible before taking a decision. No-one really knows what September is going to look like.

Related questions

Deferring offer

May 2020

Can my son defer his insurance offer but not his firm?

Can I decline my uni place because of the COVID-19 situation?

May 2020

I applied to start uni in 2020. However, I am hesitant because of COVID-19. On results day, can I decline my place if I get into the unis I have confirmed or will I be obliged to go, as I am currently looking at other routes but do not want to decline my offers until I feel...

Unconditional offers withdrawn, conditional ones issued. Is this legal?

Apr 2020

My daughter was made unconditional offers by two universities and she was waiting to attend open days before making a final decision, which unfortunately did not go ahead due to COVID-19. These two universities have subsequently withdrawn their unconditional offers and issued...

Need help?

Email us and one of our experts will get back soon.

ASK A QUESTION

Can't find what you're looking for?

Is this page useful?

Yes No

Sorry about that...

HOW CAN WE IMPROVE IT?

SUBMIT

Thanks for your feedback!