Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for UK boarder but no permanent address in UK applying for UK universities

My daughter is a British citizen and is studying year 8 at a boarding school in UK now and will probably finish her IB here.

Since my husband and I have to work in Hong Kong, we do not permanently reside in the UK. Will my daughter be considered local or international student when she applies for undergraduate degree at UK universities five years later?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Fiona,

Her school will not count as residence and she is likely to be assessed on the basis of the address of the family home – that is, where she is ordinarily resident.

Please look at the UKCISA website:

The final decision on fee status is made by the admitting university, generally not before an application has been received and the offer of a place has been made.

I hope this helps!


Similar questions