Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

UK citizen residing in South Africa fees classification

I'm in my final year of school and am interested in studying in the UK. I would like to know what type of student I'd be classified as with regards to finance.

I was born in the UK, hold UK citizenship and we still have a house and an active bank account in England, but my family and I have been living in South Africa for the last few years. Would I be classified as an international student by most universities in England?
Answered by Alison Patterson

If you are resident in South Africa you are likely to be classed as an international student for fees purposes. Fees status is based on residence, not citizenship.

Look at the UKCISA website:




The UK Government website is also helpful at:

With regards to application, you'll need to apply through UCAS at www.ucas.com

In the end, the admitting university take the decision on fee status for each student.

Best of luck!


Similar questions