Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

assessing for deferred entry

My son has a conditional offer and wants to defer a year. Should we defer now or at results? And when should my son son apply for student finance - this year or next? Or both?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Kate,

If your son has applied through UCAS for 2016 admission and has changed his mind, he must act quickly. If you are sure your son will not take up a place in 2016 he must immediately contact his universities and ask for a deferment and for his offers to apply to 2017 entry. They do not need to agree; it is up to them.

If they do not agree your son will have to comply with his 2016 offer or withdraw from UCAS this year and re-apply in September for 2017 entry.
If he plans to start university in September 2016 he should apply for student finance now. If he plans to enter university in 2017 he should apply in Spring next year.

Best of luck to your son.


Similar questions