Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a UK student with parents working on the earthquake recovery in NZ

I am a UK national returning to live in the UK after working on the Earthquake recovery project in New Zealand. We should have returned to the UK just over 3 years ago. However, due to the continuing earthquake action in New Zealand my contract was extended and has only now (May 2016) come to an end. Will my daughter be treated as a home student or attract foreign fees due to us being away for 5 years?

Thanks - David
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi David,

If you can prove that you have been out of the country for a temporary period due to your employment then you may be considered an ordinarily resident and so liable for the home fee.

The university will make the ultimate determination based on guidelines, case law and, in particular, the case you make for home fees status.

You have said that you reside in the UK but I must point out that the rules vary between the four UK countries.

Please look at the UKCISA website at:

Also look at:

You can contact the funding bodies now - Student Finance England for England, SAAS for Scotland etc.

A university is not likely to state the fee status of an individual until an application has been received and an offer made on academic grounds.

It is in your interests to provide full information to universities to assist the process.

I hope this helps.


Similar questions