Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Applying to uni as a fully qualified electrician

Hi, I have a Level 3 NVQ in Electrical Installation and I am a fully qualified electrician. What else would I require to study at university?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Aaron,

It depends on the course and the university.

To apply for a course through UCAS, you will need to write a personal statement and someone else will need to write a reference.

But first you need to decide on a course. Then, you can check the information on university websites to find out what the entry requirements are and whether you meet them.

Use our course search to look for First Degrees or Foundation Degrees:


As a standard A level candidate from England, you would be expected to have achieved a minimum level in English and Maths. This would probably be demonstrated through your GCSE results. As an applicant with other qualifications, you should check with universities using their websites or email them directly. There are separate arrangements for mature students with work experience.

I am not sure from the information you have given me if you have enough to apply to university now, but it is possible to take an Access to Higher Education course at a local college. This is a bridging course and often universities have direct arrangements with colleges. You may be able to study for a foundation degree in electrical areas without A levels or the Access course.

The UCAS guidance is helpful at:

Good luck.


Similar questions