Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Loans for an international student

I'm starting uni in September 2016, and as I'm not a UK national (I'm Portuguese, so I guess it counts as an EU student), I've been living in the UK for two and a half years.
I would like to know exactly what kind of support I could get. Thank you.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Fernando,

The university will decide whether you should pay Home fees or EU fees. In practice, the amounts are the same and you should be eligible for UK Government tuition fee loan.

Look at:


The rules vary depending on where you are a resident of, and you need to check with the relevant funding body depending on whether you live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

You may not be eligible for any maintenance loans (for living costs). But, again, the university will be able to let you know if there are any bursaries or scholarships.

Contact Student Finance England using the details at:


(unless you live in Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland)

Hope this helps!


Similar questions