Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British citizen returning from living overseas

I am looking to return to work in the UK after leaving in 2008 to work in New Zealand. Both myself and my children are British citizens and my parents are too and they have never left the country. From what I have read, even though we're British, the children will not be eligible for home student status until we have lived in the UK for 3 years. But I read something else about if grandparents reside in the UK then they will be eligible. Can you help please?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Barbara,

The general rule is that the student must have been a resident in the UK for the three years prior to starting university to be eligible for Home fees and UK Government financial support (I think it is to do with where the family taxes have been paid). Residence is more relevant here than citizenship. The fact that grandparents have been living in the UK for the last three years is not relevant.

Look at:


You could contact Student Finance England:


Note that the rules vary depending on which of the four countries of the UK you will be residing in, so if you are going to live in Scotland you should contact SAAS.

Also look at the UKCISA website:


Hope this helps,


Similar questions