Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Uk citizens living abroad, can our daughter apply to UK university?

We have lived in Spain for 12 years and our daughter is due to graduate from her Spanish school with a baccalaureate qualification. Is she able to apply to a UK university as a UK citizen and receive student loans etc?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Lorraine,

She will apply through UCAS at www.ucas.com.

Fee status and eligibility for UK Government funding depend on residence, and not citizenship.

In this case your daughter is likely to be classed as a EU student. She will be eligible to apply for a tuition fees loan but not a maintenance loan.

Go to:


Hope this helps,


Similar questions