Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a British citizen currently living overseas

Our family are all British citizens - born in England and lived there for some years after our children were born. We have since moved abroad when my company transferred me overseas, but maintain two residences in England, bank accounts, and pay UK tax every year. Our eldest daughter will likely attend university in five years time, by which time we expect to be have been living in the UK again (though possibly only for a year). Would she be eligible for Home fees?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Ankehi,

The general rule is that you should have been a resident in the UK (boarding school does not count as residence) for the three consecutive years prior to starting university.

There are exceptions to the rule and if you can demonstrate that the family were living outside the UK temporarily and unavoidably because of a parent's employment, this might be accepted as evidence that you would otherwise have been a resident in the UK.

Universities have the discretion to decide the fee status of their students, based on the information you will need to supply and based on case law and the guidelines.

For more information go to the UKCISA website at:


and the UK Government website at:


Hope this helps,


Similar questions