Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for EU national living outside of EU

Hi. I am an EU national, and have a German passport, and both my parents too are EU nationals. However, I have lived in South Africa most of my life. Thus in this respect, if I wanted to study in the UK I wouldn't qualify for 'home' fees. However, my father and brother both live in London and have been working there for the past few years. Would this qualify me to receive home fees? I am pretty sure I read somewhere that if an immediate family member has been living in the UK for the past 3 years and you yourself are an EU citizen, then one would qualify for home fees. Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello there,

The general rule is that you should have been a resident in the UK for the three consecutive years prior to starting university.

Look at the UKCISA website at:


and the UK Government website at:


I have assumed that you are thinking about university in England. The rules are slightly different for the other countries of the UK, so you would need to check the rules for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

You can also contact Student Finance England at:


Hope you can find what you are looking for!



Similar questions