Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Applying for university after self-teaching

I'm self teaching 4 A-levels next year - What implications does this have when it comes to applying to university?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Applications are online through UCAS.

All the information you need is here

You must be comprehensive in stating your academic results to date and the exams you plan to enter before university. All this can be done independently. You will need an academic reference from someone who can predict your likely A level grades. Again UCAS gives advice about the process.

Eligibility for student finance is based on a number of criteria. Go to

You need a UCAS reference from a non-family member and need to still write a personal statement.

You are welcome to take A levels at home/self-taught but need to take the exam etc at a recognised exam centre of course and via an exam board.

You are welcome to apply for student loans when you have a place confirmed.

We recommend that you speak to a careers adviser/teacher in an old or current school first in confidence.

Similar questions