Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Home or overseas fees?


I'm applying for universities in the UK and I have already received offers. I have lived in France for 10 years now, but I was born in Mexico, and I have both Mexican and French nationality. I know that with my French nationality I can have home tuition fees, but the fact that I was born in Mexico and lived there for 9 years makes me doubt this. What fee will I have to pay? How can I make sure I apply as an EU student and not an overseas student with my French nationality?

Thank you for your help!
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Camila,

If you have French nationality and have been a resident in the EU for the last three years you should be able to apply as an EU student and get EU fees and access to tuition fee loans.

Look at:


Contact Student Finance England (EU Students) at:


Note that if you are applying to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland the rules are slightly different.

Good luck,


Similar questions