Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.


Hi, I am a British citizen of Indian origin and so are my parents. I have been living in the UK since birth, and I studied in India for 2 years from 2012 - 2015. I moved with my parents to India in 2012, but I am now back in the UK and have been boarding in the UK since 2015.
I will be completing IBDP in early 2020. My parents are now residents of India, although they still hold citizenship of the UK.

My question is regarding my eligibility to be considered as a home candidate by UK universities.
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Rekha,

You need to have been living in the UK for the three years prior to starting university to qualify for Home fees. Residence is more important than citizenship.

Look at:




None of this affects the way you will be considered for admission to university. Decisions about admission are based purely on academic merit. You apply through UCAS at www.ucas.com and universities will consider your academic qualifications before making an offer of a place. The question of fees status is determined separately by universities using the rules and guidelines.

Hope this helps,


Similar questions