Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

British parents

I am British, but my sons were born in Canada. Do they need to apply for UK schooling?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Sharon,

If your sons have been living outside the UK for the three years prior to starting university, then they are likely to be classed as international students (I believe it is connected with where the family's taxes have been paid). Residence is more important than citizenship for university tuition fees.

Please look at the UKCISA website at:


Of course, your sons can apply for admission to UK universities and they should apply through UCAS at www.ucas.com. They will probably have to pay the international fees.



Similar questions