Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for a UK citizen studying abroad

We are planning to send our son to an international school for his Year 10 and 11, plus iGCSE outside of the EU. We're all UK citizens and he'll be out of the UK for two years as a full time student. Will he be expected to pay home fees on his return for university? We (his parents) are remaining in the UK. Thanks
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Sam,

Universities make the final decision based on the guidelines, case law and information supplied by you.

The rules are that residence is more important than citizenship (and boarding school does not count as residence). Ask yourself where your son would be living if he was not attending the international school. Will he be returning to the UK for A levels?

Look at the UKCISA website:



Look at the UK Government website relating to Student Finance at:


You have not given me very much information and I am not able to give you a definitive answer, but I hope the above links will be helpful!


Similar questions