Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Do I qualify as an EU student?

I have an Italian passport as I was born in Italy. Until the age of three I was living in Italy. I then moved to Argentina for three years and Germany afterwards for five years. My dad is a diplomat. So even though I don't satisfy the condition that I have to be in the UK three years prior to the start of the course, I heard that there can be some exceptions if your parents are diplomats. Can you tell me whether I qualify as EU student?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Jose,

Universities make the final decision based on guidelines, case law and the information you will supply.

If you live abroad temporarily and necessarily because of a parent's employment your ordinary residence could be deemed to be a country other than where the family is currently residing.

As a general rule, residence is more important than citizenship. It is to do with where the family's taxes are paid.

You have not given me very much information. I suggest you look at the UKCISA site:


Hope this helps,


Similar questions