Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

International student with British passport

Even though my child is a British Passport holder. they will be considered an International Student. Can they apply for a student loan? If they're successful will they receive a loan for £15,000 or is it a maximum of £9,000?
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hello Nalongo,

Residence, not citizenship, determines fee status. So, if your child has been living outside the UK for the last several years, they will be assessed as an international student for fees under the rules.

There is no access to UK Government student loans, you would probably need to look into commercial bank loans.

Look at:




Best of luck.


Similar questions