Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for an international transfer student

I am a US college student going into my second year in the fall. I am getting a UK passport and was wondering if that would let me get into uni in UK without paying the International fees? Also I am planning on getting a degree in Teaching. Do credits in the US transfer easily to the UK? Would it be easier to wait until after I receive my associates degree (2 years of college) and then transfer to the UK? Thank you!
Answered by Alison Patterson
Hi Gressa,

Transfers are very unusual and you would need to check with universities about the possibility. I would strongly advise you to complete the course you are currently enrolled on.

Fees status is based on residence, not citizenship, and the general rule is that you should have been a resident in the UK for the three years immediately prior to starting university in order to be eligible for Home fees.

Look at:


For England:


For Scotland:


Best of luck,


Similar questions