Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Sstudent finance payment

My son's student finance application has been approved, and the letter states his first choice university as where the tutition fees will be paid to. What happens if he doesn't get his required grades and needs to go to his second choice – does the application automatically get transferred to a different university?
Answered by Alison Patterson

Your son should go into his online account with Student Finance England and update his details to show the university he will actually being going to attend in September. The onus is on the student/applicant to make the change and this will help to expedite the release of funds. Look at:


If Student Finance England is not your son's funding body (because you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) you should of course amend your details with the relevant body.

Hope this helps,


Similar questions