Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Scottish fees for a USA student who has lived in Scotland

My son was born in the USA in 2000, and we moved back to Scotland in 2002. His nursery, primary and high school education have all been in Scotland. Will he have to pay tuition fees if he attends a Scottish University?
Answered by Cicely Oliver
Hi Andrew,

Eligibility for tuition fees funding is dependent on residency. The SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland) state (www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/pg/eligibility.htm):

To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must also have ‘settled status’ in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. If you have not been living in the UK, you may still qualify depending on your circumstances.

Get in touch with the SAAS. Their helpline number is 0300 555 0505.

Best wishes.

Similar questions