Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Eligibility requirements

I am a British national but my wife lives here on a full visa. She has been accepted into Oxford Brookes University for an Engineering program, and has some funding from her home country (USA) but needs to cover the balance of tuition. Can we be considered for a loan to cover the balance?
Answered by Cicely Oliver
Hi Shawn,

I'm assuming you're living in England. Student Finance England (www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies) state the following for an undergraduate tuition fee loan:

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course
Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

Postgraduate tuition fee loan information can be found here:


Oxford Brookes offer some scholarships and bursaries, dependent on the level of study and whether a home, EU or international student:


Have you asked their advice?

Best wishes.

Similar questions