Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

New Zealand citizen on a spousal visa

I am a NZ citizen who will be entering the UK on a spousal visa (from a british national). I am just wondering whether I will be classed as an international student or a home student. Also, if international, will that change after living within the UK for three years?
Answered by Cicely Oliver
Hi Abbey, when you enter the UK you will be classed as an international student initially. At present the eligibility rules for Student Finance England (www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies) state:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course
Non-UK nationals must have settled status on the first day of the first academic year of the course - which could be 1 September, 1 January, 1 April or 1 July.

If you're intending to attend university in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you should check the eligibility for the relevant country, but they will be similar.

If you want to find out more, apart from the student finance organisations, you could check out the British Council, or get in touch with universities direct.

Best wishes.

Similar questions