Ask The Complete University Guide

Search answered questions:

Do you have a question for the Complete University Guide? Email ask@thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk and one of our experts will be in touch soon.

Where appropriate, we’ll publish your question anonymously on our website and/or our social media accounts to help other students.

If you prefer for your question not to be published, please let us know in your email. Read our full terms and conditions.

Fees for an international British citizen

I am currently a British national, born and brought up in the UK looking to apply to a university in around two years from now. By then I will be living abroad (in Saudi Arabia) for more than four years. Will I still have to pay international fees despite being a citizen of the UK? If that is the case, is there a way in which I am entitled to local fees? Perhaps by applying for an NI number, or making frequent trips or working part time during my visits?
Answered by Cicely Oliver
Hi there, yes, at present you will have to pay international student fees. Student Finance England (www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies) state:

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
you normally live in England
you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course

You can check out student finance in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales by following the links at the foot of this page:


but they will have similar caveats of usually residing in the UK, and having lived in the country for a minimum number of years.

If you have any particular universities in mind, you could get in touch with their admissions teams and get their advice.

Best wishes.

Similar questions